Who’s ready to go on the farm? Soon, 11 farms across Onondaga County will open their barn doors and welcome in thousands of visitors for the 4th annual ON Farm Fest event. We hope you’re one of them!
September 21st is coming up fast, and you only have 5 hours to visit the farms from 10am to 3pm. We’re often asked, why is the tour so short? Because these are working farms, and it’s amazing that any of them even opened at all during peak harvest time.
So our recommendation is to aim to visit 3-4 farms. But how do you choose? We highlight 3 things you can do at each farm. See what appeals to you, then plan your day!
Map of All 11 Farms Open for Tours
Brady Farm: A Thriving Urban Farm in the Heart of Syracuse
150 Ford Avenue in Syracuse, NY
Brady Farm and its team of farmers grow a wide variety of produce, including vegetables and fruit common in other parts of the world…but new to you! Learn about sustainable farming practices and how this farm harvests the bounty – and brings it to market.
- Enjoy Organic Eats: Tour the farm, then purchase some veggies to take home.
- Try an Arctic Treat: Arctic Island is debuting their fall ice cream flavors (for purchase).
- Dance to the Beat: Syracuse’s own Bobby Green and a Cut Above Band will be playing live music.
Get Your Fall Fix at Abbott Farms
3275 Cold Springs Rd. in Baldwinsville, NY
Hop on the wagon and take a free ride into the apple orchard to learn about the art of growing apples. Meet the Abbott family, shop and sample within their Country Store, tour the cider pressing room, and don’t forget to try their new Four Grand Hard Cider (21 and over).
- Meet a Cooking Celebrity: Meet award-winning cookbook author and PBS cooking show host Julie Taboulie, from 10am-noon.
- Hear Todd Hobin Perform: Famous in CNY, with good reason, hear Todd perform 11am-2pm.
- Go All in for Fall: The wagon ride and cidery pressing tour is free. Want more fall fun? Abbott Farms offers everything from pony rides to face painting, an apple cannon to balloon art for fees ranging from $3-$9. Or, wristbands are available for $14.99 that include most of the activities. Learn more at the Abbott Farms website.
Enjoy Views and Brews! Palladino Farms and Heritage Hill Brewhouse and Kitchen
3149 Sweet Road in Pompey, NY
Tour the Heritage Hill Brewhouse and taste what’s brewing. Then, take a wagon tour of the fields to learn about malt barley and organic crops. Enjoy samples and demos compliments of local producers from apple cider to cheese. Grab lunch from their BBQ pit featuring ribs, brisket, burgers, and more (for purchase).
- Say Hello to the Animals: Cows, horses, donkeys, chickens, goats, and bunnies!
- Rock Out with Just Joe: Live music from 11am-2pm on the outdoor stage.
- Watch a Horse Event: Riders of the Limestone Creek Hunt Club will be taking part in a jumping competition.
Champion Jersey Cows and Yellow Barns at Silver Spring Farm
4346 Bussey Road in Syracuse, NY
You’ll know you’ve arrived when you see the farm’s signature, cheerful yellow barns. Since 1914, the Luchsinger family has been raising champion Jersey dairy cows. One was even named Supreme Grand Champion at the 2019 NYS State Fair! The Luchsinger family produces milk for Byrne Dairy. Meet Onondaga County dairy princesses, too.
- Live Music 11am-2pm: Relax in the sun to the sounds of The Mix Tapes Duo!
- Purchase Goodies: Fresh from Silver Spring Farm Market: cheese, fresh produce, pumpkins, and ice cream
- If You’re Lucky…: You might see a calf birth like attendees did in 2016…
Shake n’ Make Your Own Butter at Tre-G Farms, an Organic Dairy
8183 US Route 20 in Pompey, NY
Say hello to the Smith Family and their Holstein cows, which produce milk for Organic Valley. Tre-G Farms gets by with a little help from robotic milking machines, which the cows love (come learn why!). The Smith family will take you on a tour, then make sure you save time to shake and make your own fresh butter to take home and enjoy (a free activity).
- Meet a Local Celeb: B104.7’s Tom Owens of Tom and Becky in the Morning performs 11am-2pm.
- Bring Your Appetite: Momo’s Traveling Café stops at Tre-G to serve up classic American food (for purchase).
- Savor Samples: Compliments of Organic Valley!
Meet the Pack at Bentwood Alpacas and Yaks
5344 Route 80 in Tully, NY
You’ll definitely have something to “yak” about after your ON Farm Fest tour at this beautiful farm in Tully, set amidst rolling hills with stunning views. Everyone loves meeting their pack of fuzzy, friendly alpacas and yaks. As you tour the farm, you’ll also learn how yarn and other fibers are produced.
- Sing Along to the Sounds: …of Greg Hoover from 11am-2pm. He performed last year and was a big hit.
- Grab a Bite to Eat: Fresh from the farm!
- Did we Mention Yaks and Alpacas?: Prepare for cuteness overload.
Get Your Horse Fix at Affinity Farm
1950 Coon Hill Road in Skaneateles, NY
Calling all horse lovers! Affinity Farm is just one of 18 horse farms in Onondaga County – and a wonderfully run riding facility. Come meet the instructors and discover their “centered riding” approach. Watch the horses out in the pasture and tour the barns and facilities.
- Steven Cali Returns: CNY’S rising country star returns to perform again from 11am-2pm
- Will Brake for BBQ: Herlihy’s Smokehouse will be cooking up their fantastic BBQ food (for purchase).
- Watch a Riding Demo: See riders and their horses perform demos throughout the day.
Go Behind the Scenes at Navarino Orchard
3655 Cherry Valley Turnpike (Route 20) in Syracuse, NY
You’ve gone apple picking, but this On Farm Fest tour takes you deeper into the heart of the orchard. Hop on the wagon for an interactive, educational tour. Learn how apples are grown from blossom, to branch, to your table…
- Meet Julie Taboulie: Award-winning cookbook author and PBS cooking show host Julie Taboulie will be selling and signing her cookbook from 1-3pm.
- Treat Yourself: Fritters, fritter sundaes, apple cider floats, hot dogs, popcorn, and more await you (for purchase).
- Cheers to Your Health: Stop by the Onondaga County Health Department’s table for giveaways and health tips.
Sweeten up to REAL Syrup at Dutch Hill Maple
1435 Dutch Hill Rd in Tully
Don’t miss your chance to discover how maple syrup goes from tree, to tap, to table! Owners Cristy and Nate Williams look forward to taking you on a tour of their sugaring house. You can also go on an interactive walking tour into the beautiful maple grove.
- Be Entertained by Mark Zane: This well-known singer songwriter will perform 11am-2pm.
- Sample and Savor: From maple candies to different grades of syrup, you can sample and shop for full sizes.
- Learn and Discover: Dutch Hill Maple regularly hosts tours, you can expect a fascinating, eye-opening experience.
Ice Cream Made by Half Fully Dairy’s Cows (Formerly Hourigan’s Dairy)
878 Gorham Road in Elbridge, NY
Meet the Hourigan family and their herd of Holstein cows and calves. Learn about how this dairy farm produces milk for Byrne Dairy…and enjoy a free pint of their milk. Say hello to the Onondaga County Dairy Princesses and enjoy a day out in the countryside.
- Cool Off with a Cone: …of homemade Bailiwick ice cream, made by the cows you’ll meet on tour. (For purchase)
- Check Out the BIG Farm Equipment: This is a larger dairy farm which operates a fleet of impressive farm equipment and tractors – all on display.
- Get Granular: Half Full Dairy does a wonderful job of explaining how and why they devote so much of their time to field crops and grains.
Say Hello to the Herd at Shepard Settlement Farm!
4654 Northwest Townline Road in Marcellus
Love steak and hamburgers? Learn where your meat comes from as you tour this picturesque farm in the country. The Foster family breeds and raises Red Angus beef cattle and works with other farms to provide them with genetically healthy cows. You’ll see cows of all ages, including younger calves.
- Enjoy Lunch: …fresh from Sharkey’s in Liverpool (for purchase).
- Soak in the Sounds: …of Bill Ali, member of the famous Scars n’ Stripes band.
- Kids Will Love the “Corn” Box: It’s a sandbox…full of corn kernels! Kids love playing in it.